Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July

The day began really great. We had some good teamwork going on and got the house into tip top shape inside and out. Trent took the kids to the pool and I was able to prepare for a barbecue that we were having. Our guests arrived and the evening couldn't have gone any smoother. We enjoyed brats, hot dogs, burgers, Oriental salad, fresh fruit, baked beans, cookies, cupcakes and apple pie a la mode. The kids all ate, if you can believe that and they played pretty good together too! After everyone left I took the kids down to see fireworks and that's when it happened.........the fog rolled in off the ocean, the fireworks started and we couldn't see anything :( The kids were a little sad, but handled it better than I expected. So we packed up our blankets, piled back into the van, drove home and tucked our kiddies into their beds. They were so tired that we didn't hear a peep after we shut the door...

While explaining why we celebrate Independence day to our kids I was able to take a minute to reflect on just how fortunate we are to live in such a great country. I love that we have so many freedoms. I feel truly blessed to be able to live my life however I choose. I'm happy that my kids are going to be able to grow up in an environment that allows them to have a voice in their community and pride in their nation. I'm so thankful to our founding fathers for both their vision of what our country could become as well as for the risks they took to ensure that our nation be a good one.

Living on a military base for the last year has really shown me a new side of life. The men and women that serve in the military are truly heroes. They are so committed and loyal to this country and what it stands for. It's comforting to know that our service members believe in what they stand for and that they really are trying to make a difference in this world. Ooh Rah!

1 comment:

Jeff and Larissa said...

We miss getting together with you and eating the yummy food you make!! Thanks for the Wall-E review, I heard it was cute.

The Cronicles of Tapa...the cat.

OK Cat lovers of the world explain this....we're going on vacation and wanted to board our cat, but they wouldn't take her unles...