A business plan is in the works, and my portfolio is finally in a place that I'm proud of. I feel it's a good representation of where I am as a very armature photographer with lots of room to grow. I will post more pics in the next few days. I've taken a lot of photos for friends that I want to share. I don't know that I really aspire to do portraits, but I don't mind doing them. I am most inspired and excited about macro photography and sometimes that comes out in my portraiture.
I haven't shown any of my work yet, and right now feels like a good time to put it out there. I'm going to post a series of photos over the next few days or week perhaps, you never know how much time you're going to have when you have kids. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.
This first post has pictures from my class assignments:
Week 1, objective: Take 20 shots of the same object. Try to get different angles and an interesting photograph.
This light coming over the avocado grove into this lane was beautiful. Notice the triangle (from tractor to front of photo) that is supposed to draw your eye in and be appealing.

Here is my other shot of the tractor. It possesses the element of intrigue.

Week 2 objective: learn to use proper exposure and white balance.
White balance is what makes whites look white no matter the lighting conditions.
It is also a huge factor in how skin tones appear.
It is also a huge factor in how skin tones appear.



Week 4-another exercise in white balance and color correcting.
Week 5 objective: Portraits. We had a field trip to a Halloween costume party. We took portraits under a complete studio set up. I decided to use my macro lens b/c everyone else was using 50 or 100mm lenses. I didn't want my photos to be just like theirs so I took only tight shots. This was great as a secondary source, but it also presented a lot of limitations on highlighting the entire costume.
This was taken by my teacher during set up.
We all took turns being the model so everyone could get ready.
We all took turns being the model so everyone could get ready.

This is some of the people in my class & teacher.

I took tons of photos. People had really cool costumes, some were very impressive.
Here are some of my best shots.
Here are some of my best shots.






I loved this guy.
He was a nerd and his pants which you can't see in this shot were just to die for!
He was in character the entire time, so funny!
He was a nerd and his pants which you can't see in this shot were just to die for!
He was in character the entire time, so funny!

I thought this was a unique costume. He is windblown!

This is one of my favorite shots b/c of this guys smile. He was posing with 3 other guys, they came together. I thought that it really captured the mood of the moment. A good candid shot!
Week 6 objective: Photoshop.This picture is actually 2 photos (1 color/1 black & white) that have been layered on top of one another. The I applied a layer mask to allow the color from the sign to show through. I think it turned out rather nice!

Class 7 objective: Black & White. Black & white photographs aren't for everyone,
but I love Love LOVE them. It was fun to go out and try to find things that would translate well into black & white. I used to think everything looked better in b/w, but I don't anymore.


11 comments:
AWESOME Millie!! I'm so excited to talk photog with someone! Your images are AMAZING! I took a similar class where we all got to be models- its neat to see how everyone is in front of the same people photographing- but everyone has such a different perspective that each photo looks complelty different! I am so excited for you- can't wait to see more!! Yay!
Millie,
The pictures look awesome. I don't have a clue about photography lingo but I love looking at your pictures.
I loved that Octo-mom costume. That was awesome!
Amyjoy
WOW!! You can stop using the word "Amateur" now. You have definitely turned the Professional corner. Kudos!!
Greg gave me your blog address the other day. I like close ups and nature photography, too. It takes lots of practice to get a steady hand. I think my favorite of the ones you posted today are the close up of the flower and the key and your last BW. Nice pictures!
beautiful job, Pod. I think your Halloween portraits are the best. You're right--the expressions and attitudes are marvelous. excellent!
Oh my gosh Millie...I feel bad that I haven't blogged for a while especially after seeing those photos! I can't believe Carly! She has really grown up! If Ephraim and I make it out to California, maybe we can hire you to take some pictures of our kids instead of us going to Walmart. Also I told Daphne we might go to Disneyland, but she said she would rather just hang out with Lucas. She doesn't want to go to Disneyland! She said she didn't get to spend any time with her cousins last time we were out there, and that was disappointing for her. Your kids looked like they had a good time at Halloween.
I totally agree with your mom's comments-you are no longer considered an "amateur"! Great work-keep it up! All those pictures are super and it is always so fun to see other people's costumes!
Well, Wish you could practice on my family! You look like your class is teaching you a lot.
Good for you Millie! Can't wait to see more of your images! You are amazing!
Here here! on all the happy comments. The photos look great, and I can really see your own personal style emerging. Very cool! We miss you guys!
Cool stuff, Millie! I especially liked the break down of the lessons learned. I agree-I used to think everything looked best in black and white, but I don't anymore either. Keep posting, we love the pics!!
Post a Comment