Friday, November 23, 2012

Rome & the Vatican

First things first, we headed straight for the Vatican City.  We toured the museum, Sistine Chapel & St. Peter's.

Vatican Museum-





you can see hadrian's tomb and the city hall building off in the distance







This picture doesn't do this arch justice.  It's the most massive archway I've ever seen.  It makes one feel very insignificant.
The Sistine Chapel- I tried to prepare Luke & Emry the best I could.  While we looked at the paintings we talked about what they represented and how such a feat was accomplished.  I don't know if they really understand the beauty and magnitude of the place, but I hope someday when they're watching a show or sitting in history class they'll remember and think, "Hey, I've been there."

Saint Peters Basilica-Unfortunately, they had a lot of the chapel blocked off so we couldn't get close to the cupola or go up to see the mosaics and city view from the roof.  I was a tiny bit bummed about it.


I do love the silly uniforms of the swiss guards.


We were starving by this point so we went in search of food.  After a quick sandwich we bought tickets for the open air tour buses and off we were again for the grand tour of Roma!













We got off for a quick stop at the Piazza Campo dei Fiori which happens to be a favorite of mine.  We were too early to eat and my parents were too tired to wait around for dinner, so we settled for some gelato, shopping and flower gawking.




No comments:

The Cronicles of Tapa...the cat.

OK Cat lovers of the world explain this....we're going on vacation and wanted to board our cat, but they wouldn't take her unles...