I've been waiting all summer to take my kids to a good Midwestern fair! I have fond memories of going to the fair or carnival every summer of my youth. I love the excitement and hubbub, the hum of the rides, the people walking around, the sound of the games being played, the smell of cotton candy...and the taste too! It's very nostalgic.
First I got the kids wrist bands because the ticket line was short. We made them wait a bit to get on the rides though. We went straight over to the concessions and ate dinner. The kids chose pizza and my mom and I had pulled pork sandwiches. For dessert we ate the yummiest homemade ice cream ever!
Next we headed over to see the animals. The animals is my mom's favorite part. The kids were totally dying to get over to the midway, but we made them wait...ooohh the anticipation!! We saw the usual fair animals: cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, rabbits, horses. They had a small petting zoo as well.
It was nice, but by this time the kids were seriously begging us to walk faster. It was pure torture for them to hear squeals and screams of delight in the distance. They just new they were missing out on those rides! FINALLY, it was time for rides! They went on everything at least 3 times. They had no interest in attending the horse pull, so Grandma had to go alone to the grand stand and we stayed on the midway.
I was explaining to Emry why we call carnival workers "carnies" and I ended up looking it up online. It's pretty fascinating stuff to read about. Check out Wikipedia if you're curious, they have a huge list of carny vocab terms, Luke & I enjoyed reading about. Here's a bit of history I'd like to include.
Carny or carnie is a slang term used in North America and, along with showie, in Australia for a carnival employee, as well as the language they employ. A "carny" is anyone who runs a "joint" (booth), "grab joint" (food stand), game, or ride at a carnival, boardwalk or amusement park. The word carny is thought to have become popularized around 1931 in North America, when it was first colloquially used to describe "one who works at a carnival." The word carnival, originally meaning a "time of merrymaking before Lent," came into use circa 1549.
Carny Vocabulary: Though these terms are traditionally part of carnival cant, a secret language, it is an ever-changing form of communication, and in large part designed to be impossible to understand by an outsider. Thus, as words are assimilated into the culture at large, they lose their function and are replaced by other more obscure or insular terms. Most carnies no longer talk this way. However, many owners/operators and "old-timers" still use some of the classic terms. Jargon that refers to money or drugs is still used frequently.
First I got the kids wrist bands because the ticket line was short. We made them wait a bit to get on the rides though. We went straight over to the concessions and ate dinner. The kids chose pizza and my mom and I had pulled pork sandwiches. For dessert we ate the yummiest homemade ice cream ever!
Next we headed over to see the animals. The animals is my mom's favorite part. The kids were totally dying to get over to the midway, but we made them wait...ooohh the anticipation!! We saw the usual fair animals: cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, rabbits, horses. They had a small petting zoo as well.
It was nice, but by this time the kids were seriously begging us to walk faster. It was pure torture for them to hear squeals and screams of delight in the distance. They just new they were missing out on those rides! FINALLY, it was time for rides! They went on everything at least 3 times. They had no interest in attending the horse pull, so Grandma had to go alone to the grand stand and we stayed on the midway.
| Luke was less than thrilled to ride the kiddie rides with Carley, but it was better than waiting! |
![]() |
| Luke & Emry are both on this! My mom thought I was crazy to allow it, but I went on this as a kid...and I'm still alive! |
I was explaining to Emry why we call carnival workers "carnies" and I ended up looking it up online. It's pretty fascinating stuff to read about. Check out Wikipedia if you're curious, they have a huge list of carny vocab terms, Luke & I enjoyed reading about. Here's a bit of history I'd like to include.
Carny or carnie is a slang term used in North America and, along with showie, in Australia for a carnival employee, as well as the language they employ. A "carny" is anyone who runs a "joint" (booth), "grab joint" (food stand), game, or ride at a carnival, boardwalk or amusement park. The word carny is thought to have become popularized around 1931 in North America, when it was first colloquially used to describe "one who works at a carnival." The word carnival, originally meaning a "time of merrymaking before Lent," came into use circa 1549.
Carny Vocabulary: Though these terms are traditionally part of carnival cant, a secret language, it is an ever-changing form of communication, and in large part designed to be impossible to understand by an outsider. Thus, as words are assimilated into the culture at large, they lose their function and are replaced by other more obscure or insular terms. Most carnies no longer talk this way. However, many owners/operators and "old-timers" still use some of the classic terms. Jargon that refers to money or drugs is still used frequently.














3 comments:
Very nice pictures of the county fair! Nice memories before you leave the USA! Love you guys and we wish you all the best of luck in Spain!!
It looks like they had a great time! Safe travels overseas!
Great pictures!
Post a Comment