Friday, November 11, 2011

Ooh la la...our trip to Paris! - Day 2

My mom and sister, Liz, took the train through The Chunnel and we met up around 11 am.  They were a tiny bit later than they thought, so we had already eaten breakfast without them...they were starving so after hello's and hugs we decided to eat, again, with them!  I mean, twist my arm right!  Not too shabby. 



Then we were off for a full day of site seeing.  Our first destination was Notre Dame Cathedral, so we hopped on the metro.  The metro in Paris was so clean and easy to use.  Everything was marked clearly and the trains were so timely.  We never waited more than maybe 5 minutes.  It was so quick and easy to use...the only way to jump around town.





WOW!  Notre Dame Cathedral was everything it's supposed to be.  It has to be one of the coolest looking churches we've seen thus far in our adventures.  It's a very impressive building.  It oozes Gothic architecture, statue and gargoyles.  It must have been a sight to see back in the day when it's facade was painted!  I didn't know that until I was doing a bit of research, it's hard to imagine all that beautiful stone being covered up.  The finishing touches were completed in 1345 and it's been a landmark in Paris ever since...incredible.


 





Joan of Arc
Don't take offense...I couldn't help myself...hee hee!




Before viewing the back garden of the cathedral we wandered towards some music and we found a little street party going on.  It was fun to be part of the crowd, listen to some good local sound and watch this fella blow huge bubbles!





We got Trent this sweet hat!  He looks good in it too, so European.  Mmmmm!


I'm always behind the camera, so it was nice to have a decent photo of the two of us...thank you liz!





And que the music...as if predestined (or pre-planned for tourists) a street performer began to play La Vie en Rose off in the distance.  Yes, it was cliche, but lovely all the same to walk along the Seine with the song trailing in the air and all of Paris layed out before us....



As we made our way over to the Orsay for an afternoon of perusing it's halls we came across this wonderful street market.  We browsed a little and bought fruit to snack on.  We bought some great local honey too, but it got confiscated at the airport and we didn't get to bring it home...our bad, we forgot about the liquid limit and carry on luggage...baahhh!




The Orsay was for me a highlight.  I love the impressionists and it seemed like all my favorites were there...Monet, Manet, Degas, Renoir, Seraut, Van Gogh, etc.  So AWESOME!!!

So at this point of the day we'd walked my poor mom's legs off.  We headed back to the hotel so she could have a little rest before dinner.  Trent, Liz & I headed back out on the town.  I needed to track down some chocolates that I'd read about and Lizzie wanted to track down something special for Cody.

*I am inserting a little plug for La Maison du Chocolat I will give them free advertising until the day I die.  I've never considered myself much of a chocolate fan.  Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I don't love it like girls are supposed to.  In the past I have gone ga ga for a few chocolate items, like Dryer's French Silk Ice Cream...yum!  But, if I'm in the candy isle trying to get a treat, chocolate is never what ends up in my bag.  Well, how do I say this so you understand me fully, THAT HAS CHANGED!  I love, love, love the milk chocolate, caramel mousse chocolates from La Maison du Chocolat.

They are mouthwatering and delicious.  At first taste it presents like a normal chocolate, but don't be deceived, you have to be patient.  All of a sudden you get a burst of sweetness and then the aftertaste rolls across on your tongue like perfectly burned, smoldering caramel...Ohhhhh so good!  Hands down the best chocolates I've ever had in my mouth.  Expensive as all get out, but worth every penny.  My mouth is watering as I write this.  I crave them, like a pregnant lady craves!  I want them delivered to my door the first day of every month.  I would even go as far as to say that I desire them...they are that good people!  I have found my weakness in life.  I would do anything for a caramel mousse chocolate from La Maison.

Ok...I'm back to normal now.  After shopping, we headed back to the hotel to collect my mom and get some food.   We took them back to the art deco place in St-Germain.  We had trouble getting a table because we were right in the middle of the dinner rush, sans reservations.  I have to say the food was good, but the night was tainted from having to wait so long.  All in all Day 2 was superb!  Versailles tomorrow!  Good night Paris!

2 comments:

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Great pictures! We're checking your blog so often now! Todd says he wants a hat like Trent's. I say he should get one.

Can't wait to come see you guys!

Amyjoy

Rachel said...

Aaahhhhhhh...:)

The Cronicles of Tapa...the cat.

OK Cat lovers of the world explain this....we're going on vacation and wanted to board our cat, but they wouldn't take her unles...