Friday, November 18, 2011

There Is No Escape

I assumed that by moving to Spain I would be getting a reprieve from some places in the states that drive me crazy....by this I mean Chuck E Cheese.  I didn't imagine that I'd still have to put up with this school fundraiser/birthday party hot spot.  Guess again!  I was so stupid!  Of course they have something similar here.  It's called Handy Pandy, and it's like Chuck E Cheeses on steroids!

-The familiar mouse mascot has been replaced by an over sized ant.

-The carnival type games for prize tickets have been replaced by free electronic games only.

-The loud background music at Chuck E Cheese has been replaced by extremely, obnoxiously loud music at Handy Pandy.  The music was so loud that you could hardly talk to the person next to you.

-When they spoke over the loud speaker, the sound was so distorted it reminded me of a peanuts cartoon.

-The kids weren't served the traditional greasy pizza you get in the states.  Nope.  At Handy Pandy you get a meat or nutella sandwich.  You might be thinking, "Oh how wonderful, a healthy alternative."  Don't kid yourself.  The meat sandwich is simply white bread with a slice of ham inside.  The kids didn't even touch them!   And on the side you get ham flavored ruffles!!  Seriously, Ham flavored!  Ham is like the be all end all here in Spain.  It should be the countries national food, or at least its own food group here.  I've eaten these chips, just had to try them.  They're not too bad if you have something in your stomach already....but if you try them on an empty one, watch out!

-The gift giving portion was insane.  The kids sit around a table and chant for the birthday child to go faster.  It was disturbing for me to watch.  The girl unwrapped gifts and threw them aside for the next so fast that no one had any clue who had given it or what it was.  I'd say 12 kids were at the party and the gift unwrapping portion took maybe 1.5 minutes...maybe.

-The icing on the cake was the alcohol present!  They had a full bar and the parents were totally taking part!  I couldn't help but wonder who was driving these poor kids home???   I could be wrong, but I don't remember alcohol being available at Chuck E Cheese in the states?  Anyone know for sure?  It's crazy!





BUT, with all that said.  The girls had a blast just like kids do at Chuck E Cheese.  So I guess I'd better just hurry up and deal with it!







1 comment:

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Oh my! Let's NOT go there when we come to Spain ;)

The Cronicles of Tapa...the cat.

OK Cat lovers of the world explain this....we're going on vacation and wanted to board our cat, but they wouldn't take her unles...