We are currently babysitting a kitten named Tapa. She belongs to our American neighbors down the street who are on vacation. She's very cute and super duper spunky! It's been a long long time since I've been around a kitten, so I've been shocked a few times because she seems to go mental and rams around the house. She Jumps over and under and around furniture like a crazy bullet. I know that's normal cat behavior, but it's weird.
She's scared the girls each a few times. On Sunday morning we weren't prepared for the onslaught of Tapa...... she saw the girls coming in their dresses and untied sashes dragging along the floor a mile away. They didn't have a chance.
Storytime....my brothers and sisters will appreciate this. A long time ago when I was about 9 or 10 (I may have been a little younger, I'd have to ask my dad) my dad brought home a sick, half starved kitty from his job at Creekwood. This was not an uncommon occurrence at my house growing up. Both my parents are suckers for animals. Here's a quick list of a few that I can remember. I'm sure my siblings could add to it:
Ok, that turned out to be a little longer of a story than I originally intended, but there you have it. Actually, upon reflection, these could all be very good reasons for my inability to truly like animals. I try, I want to like them, I know they're not all evil...but it's hard. BUT, in Tapa's defense. She's been very good while she's been here, and I'm not sure who loves her more, the kids or Trent. Everyone is having a lot of fun with her...even me. I love to see the kids so happy, it may be time for me to get more serious about having a pet in the house. Luke is so happy, he gets straight up in the morning to play with her and then again after school until bedtime. He is such an animal person. So for now, all is well. I'll post again is she gets into trouble!!
![]() |
| This is an extreme close up of a chair I really like....she's ruined it. |
She's scared the girls each a few times. On Sunday morning we weren't prepared for the onslaught of Tapa...... she saw the girls coming in their dresses and untied sashes dragging along the floor a mile away. They didn't have a chance.
Storytime....my brothers and sisters will appreciate this. A long time ago when I was about 9 or 10 (I may have been a little younger, I'd have to ask my dad) my dad brought home a sick, half starved kitty from his job at Creekwood. This was not an uncommon occurrence at my house growing up. Both my parents are suckers for animals. Here's a quick list of a few that I can remember. I'm sure my siblings could add to it:
- Kiwaskum the opossum. Mother was a victim of hit and run. My dad came upon it and brought the remaining baby home. He lived in a bird cage and we feed him macaroni and cheese. We were going to give him to the zoo or a vet or something, but he died the morning we were supposed to take him.
- The painted turtle. My dad found him walking along the highway and brought him home. He lived on our back porch in a pail of water and rocks, we made a good spot for him. Our dog, Bingo, ended up biting it and punctured his shell. He lived, but we let him go in the millpond in our town.
- Chip the red squirrel. I found him in the attic one day. My dad tried to put him back into his nest, but his mother kept kicking all the boys out. For some reason, they were unwanted. One died, one was healthy enough to let go outside and we nursed the last one, kept him and named him Chip. We fed him all sorts of things, he liked baby formula and chopped peanuts he was extremely friendly. He even rode around on our dog, max's back. We all liked him a lot. he met an untimely death however. our neighbors dog, Stanley, a hunting lab. Got into the house one day and couldn't resist the urge. He got him. It was very sad.
- Rosie, Pumpkin, or Kitty Kitty the cat. A few years ago Wisconsin suffered a terribly, abnormally cold winter. My parent's had a long porch that ran along the house outside the front door. Sometime during this cold winter, an orange cat showed up and set up shop under the porch. She was skittish and reclusive. Well, of course they started feeding it. Then on a particularly cold night, they let it inside to sleep in the bathroom. In the morning I woke up to find my mom in the bathroom cleaning. Apparently the thing had had diarrhea everywhere, MULTIPLE times! Sick! So what did they do, they let it in a second night....and now, years later, she lives upstairs in their house.
Ok, that turned out to be a little longer of a story than I originally intended, but there you have it. Actually, upon reflection, these could all be very good reasons for my inability to truly like animals. I try, I want to like them, I know they're not all evil...but it's hard. BUT, in Tapa's defense. She's been very good while she's been here, and I'm not sure who loves her more, the kids or Trent. Everyone is having a lot of fun with her...even me. I love to see the kids so happy, it may be time for me to get more serious about having a pet in the house. Luke is so happy, he gets straight up in the morning to play with her and then again after school until bedtime. He is such an animal person. So for now, all is well. I'll post again is she gets into trouble!!





1 comment:
You are hilarious! Good luck with Tapa the crazy eyed cat! I'd be bummed out about the chair too, loved reading about all the animals your sweet family nurtured.xx
Post a Comment