Saturday, October 11, 2008

BOO! A Halloween Tradition

For the last few years we have done this fun family/neighborhood activity. It never fails to entertain! It's kind of like doing May Day baskets, but you do Halloween treats instead and those who've already been BOOed, tape a ghost sign on their door! The kids love to doorbell ditch the treats. It's supposed to be a secret, but we always get caught at least once (last night we got caught twice). Here's how it went down.....


Emry and I made cookies and frosting while Luke was at school. She has become quite the little helper in the kitchen. She has some seriously mad stirring and dumping skills! I baked the cookies during quiet time and then we got all the sprinkles and trays out. Let me tell you, it was hard to keep Emry focused on the task at hand once I got out all the sprinkles and decorating tools. Her eyes went bug eyed and she grinned a huge smile. By the time we got past the initial delight, and fished out the Halloween sprinkles (have you ever tried to explain to a 4 year old girl why pink sparkles and candy cane sprinkles don't belong on Halloween cookies????) Luke was off the bus. He was so excited when he saw what was up at our house. He got so into the secret part, that when he heard his friends coming to see if he could play, he closed all the blinds. He wanted to pretend that we weren't home, but we decided that wasn't very nice, so he politely went to the door and told them he couldn't play for a while because he was busy.

A master decorator at work.

Another master decorator...OOPS, I mean finger licker at work. She did a lot better than last time we decorated cookies, but she still has some learning to do. I could tell that she was really trying hard not to put those fingers in her mouth, but she just couldn't help it. It was like some unknown force was drawing her fingers to her mouth to taste of the yummy goodness that was on them. She spent more time washing her hands than decorating!

The evidence.
Actually this photo is pretty tame. After this she started using the black sprinkles and they stained her fingertips pretty good.

These are our scariest Halloween faces!

You might be wondering where Carley was while we were decorating and messing up the kitchen....she was napping! We don't allow her to be around when we do projects like this. She's too curious and tall!! The little stinker.

Here's how her mind works (this is an actual interpretation of the thoughts in her head!!)

Step 1...ooooh, I spy something pretty.

Step 2...If I stand on my tippy toes and reach as far as my little arm can and dig those fingertips into that colorful thing....ha, I got some.

Step 3...Now quick, before anyone sees, stick gooey fingertips into mouth and Mmmm Mmmm Mmmmm. I'm goin' back for more!

Viola, the though processes of Carley Price.

If you've never BOOed your neighbors and would like to you can find the template here.

9 comments:

Lizzie Bingham said...

Nice work. I'm taking my young women booing in two weeks!

Alissa Nicolau said...

Luke looks a lot like his Dad in the top photo, in my opinion. What do you think Lukas?

These pics have got me jonesing for sugar cookies. Bad!! Cesar doesn't care much for them (can you IMAGINE???) so I only bust out the cutters once in awhile. Tomorrow afternoon while the short one sleeps may just turn out to be one of those once in awhiles!

Our Ward began the Boo thing last year and I think everyone really liked it. I want to include our neighbors this year. I like you sign and just might adopt it.

Maggie said...

VERY cute post--the fotos were great!

I miss you guys! :)

KristyKay said...

What a fun afternoon, and such a patient Mom to think up such activities. It's a good thing that the kids are so good! But they know the drill...when Mom is creative, fun follows!

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Fun! I want to make my sugar cookies too but I am a bit afraid. They are TOO GOOD and I can't leave them alone. It made my heart happy to hear that you had some for breakfast!
We need to get busy because we were BOOed too this weekend. They left donut holes and hot chocolate packets. Wonderful treat for breakfast in the morning! I wonder what we will be leaving???

Roxi and Ephraim's Family said...

It is fun to BOO! people! I am so jealous of your neighbors who get booed by you! Luckies! I love your sugar cookies Millie! Very adorable Millie! I just showed your blog to Ephraim and so now I may be in trouble. He loves loves sugar cookies and I think he loves decorating even more! And so do my children! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Raquel said...

Good to see your kids have cougar pride while decorating cookies!
I love having my red-heads wear green too.

Audra said...

Looks like everyone was having a blast, even Miss Carley! I like how the kids decorate in a pan-I'll have to use that trick. We always end up with "toppings" everywhere!

I'd like to be your neighbor to get BOOed, too. LOL Our neighbor's don't like us, so maybe we'll drive to do our BOOing. hee hee

L. S. Smathers Family said...

BOOing is so fun. A lot of BOOing goes on here on base. Hope you have a happy Halloween!

The Cronicles of Tapa...the cat.

OK Cat lovers of the world explain this....we're going on vacation and wanted to board our cat, but they wouldn't take her unles...