Thursday, October 23, 2008

Little Girls.

OK, I confess, I wasn't the most girlie of little girls. When I was young, I played with my brothers, got dirty, ran around town barefoot, and was punished every Sunday by having to wear a dress. I think the man upstairs is playing a funny joke on me AND having the last laugh! Whoever decided that it would be beneficial to me to have and attempt to raise 2 girls must have overlooked my qualifications!

Fact: Carley & Emry are 2 of the girliest girls I know.

The Cons: screaming, giggleing, biting, scratching, picky eaters, moody moody, demanding, stubborn.

The Pros: giggleing, endearing, loving, happy, inquisitive, cute clothes, pretty hair, fun, imaginative, whitty, adorable, sweet, cuddley, charming.

Now, let me tell you about my morning. No, let me show you what is quickly becoming a daily occurrence at our house.


Here is Carley this morning throwing the biggest fit. Why? you might ask yourself. Because she doesn't like what she is wearing! Can you believe that, she's only 14 months old. Isn't she a little young to be asserting this kind of independence??? PS...she's been doing this for about a month now, not every day, but when she wants a certain dress on, she is determined.

Here she is, still crying. She's moved from the hallway into her bedroom. This is the dress she's apparently picked out for the day. How was I supposed to know? She's also extremely frustrated because she hasn't figured out how to get the dress off the hanger.



This is when I give in because I don't really care what she wears at this point. Here are the instantaneous results! A happy girl, wearing the perfect outfit.
Now it's time to get the hair done.So, here are the questions of the day. Is this spoiling her? Is this a classic case of a pushover mom? Should I put my foot down? Is it too early for her to be having this much independence? Am I starting a bad habit?

I am torn. The girlie side of me thinks it's pretty comedic, but the tomboy side of me thinks it's crazy and a waste of time.

I need help here people...I am in over my head!!!
What do you think?

13 comments:

Ross Family said...

Oh!! I so hear what you are saying!!! Luckily Kolbi isn't old enough to care about what she wears yet!:) Today Kambria is wearing sweats and cowgirl boots and mis-matched gloves because that is what she wanted to wear!!

Roxi and Ephraim's Family said...

I try to keep in mind the story or movie, Matilda. Matilda had already mastered a style and the art of dressing by age three, and most people don't master this until about the age of 30. Carley is a genius! I think you should encourage her independence and creativity as long as it does not drive you completely crazy! Go Carley!

Jenni said...

I personally think its hilarious! Kinda sad Avery doesn't care what she wears?! I don't think you should worry about it just yet, maybe when she gets a little older.. but what do I know! I think it's darling! She is probably just looking up to Emry!

Audra said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious...she is pitching a fit, and momma's capturing it all on camera! I say pick your battles. If she wants to pick out an outfit, go for it-looks like she has great taste already. :)

I know what you mean though, about the independence, moody, stubborn, etc. That's just girls for you-wait until they are teenager. Ugh. Thanks for sharing-made me smile. :)

Maggie said...

Carley throwing a fit about clothes??! Is this really true? What the heck, I leave town and she turns psycho? What happened to the cute little baby girl who was oblivious to everything but dumping out the toy basket and eating?

Good luck with those two when dey turn 13. Hmmm hmmmm, girl, you's gonna need some help den, oh yes...

Todd and Amyjoy said...

Can't be much help. Annika has nearly always let me decide. Now she is old enough to pick out a matching outfit. I still do the whole bow and hairdo thing for her everyday with minimal fight. The boys don't care what they wear too much.
My friend though has a primadonna girl and she has a shoe fettish. She has since she was probably 18 months. I think she just went with it until it passed. Oh wait, it hasn't passed yet and she is 3. :)

Jeff and Larissa said...

Okay, I'm laughing SO hard right now about the dress! That is so awesome! I not qualified in any way to give out advice, so I'm just going to enjoy the post and the pictures!

Raquel said...

Millie,
You have LOST the battle. It will be easier if you just give in now. Who cares what their wearing, just as long as they have underware on under that dress!

KristyKay said...

I started laughing the moment I saw that there were all ready 8 COMMENTS...this little girl already has an audience! Better prepare yourself!

robertsfamof5 said...

Ya, you need to put your foot down on some things, but on this, whatever it takes for them to stop crying...just do it! My girls throw fits for other reasons, not the outfits YET!

Alissa Nicolau said...

Trouble, trouble, trouble. Toil and bubble. Game over. You lose.

Sorry! This is a very cute post Millie. It makes me sad to see how big little Miss Carley is and I haven't met her yet.

Carr Family said...

That is so funny!! Brielle was like that in wanting to choose her own clothes...she still is. :) I say pick your battles. As far as letting them choose what to wear, it's not a big deal. Brielle sometimes didn't match, but she was happy. Atleast Carley has good taste!

Unknown said...

Millie! I have been there, girl! Five daughters, all cut from the same cloth that sweet Carley comes from. Thankfully they grew up, know how to dress well, not wear too much eyeliner, go to college, and are kind to people. And I didn't have my tubes tied...around my neck. Thank you so much for posting my website on your blog!

The Cronicles of Tapa...the cat.

OK Cat lovers of the world explain this....we're going on vacation and wanted to board our cat, but they wouldn't take her unles...